View Single Post

Old 03-20-2015, 08:16 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,764 Times in 684 Posts

I have been waiting on them to get that kit back in stock for a very long time because I wanted to give my Highway Patrolman a red ramp insert. Where did you find your kit at? I gave up on waiting and after some experimenting I ended up using the Castin' Craft casting resin with red and yellow opaque liquid pigments that I bought at Hobby Lobby. I ordered some of the powdered Brownells color pigment and tried mixing it with my Castin Craft stuff and it never really dissolved and mixed very well. The little colored flakes didn't mix up as well as the Castin Craft liquid pigment did but then again I was using Polyester resin and not Acrylic. I also learned that if I leave it sit for a few days the insert is more secure and will harden and stay in place nicely. If you start trying to shape it when it's still a little soft, it could be loose once it does completely harden. It seems to me that dimpling it with a punch works pretty good too because it causes a ring of metal to raise up around the dimple in the space of the dovetail. You want to give it a couple of good whacks like Larry says in the video, but also the ring that is up in the inserts space keeps the insert from moving from side to side. Your stuff may be as hard as it's ever going to be after an hour, my stuff seems to take days. I also used thick brass fences with the releasing agent on them. Again, even removing the fences with the releasing agent on them can create a wiggle in the insert if you try to break them loose before the insert is completely hard. With my Castin Craft recipe I wait at least 3 or 4 days before I even try to break the fences free. It makes it harder to shape the insert in the end but it's hard as a rock and not going anywhere. Colder temps will take longer for the Polyester to harden. Great job on yours by the way!
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/thr...s-pics.847181/

One air bubble but it's solid as a rock so it's staying.

Last edited by GunarSailors; 03-21-2015 at 09:02 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: