View Single Post

Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 AM

Liked 11,453 Times in 3,023 Posts

If you are looking for something durable, inexpensive, fairly light weight, and reliable, I'll throw out one no one has mentioned - The Ruger P series .45 pistol.

Grip feel is subjective, but they fit my hand about as well as any non-1911. They usually have smooth triggers on their DA, revolver like pull. And no one can tell me the P series pistols are not reliable. When I was teaching, I qualified many from an agency who issued Ruger P's, and they made some of the "big" names look bad in that respect. Good used ones are around for well under your $$ limit. And yes, they do provide second strike capability.

A .45 ACP for hogs? Never shot one with a .45 ACP, but I have shot several decent sized deer with one, using a hard cast 240 grain SWC bullet at about 950 fps. Thru and thru penetration, and dead were the results. Using a hard cast SWC or WFN bullet really makes a difference in penetration, compared to HP slugs designed for expansion, and they kill quicker than a FMJ RN.

R/E the S&W .45 M&P - Most people like them. I had a compact version. Felt great in my hand, but was not 100% reliable in about 800 rounds of mixed ammo, and not as accurate as I would have liked. Trigger was pretty notchy. Sold it, but still have my Glock version of the .45 plastic fantastic. YRMV...

Larry

Last edited by Fishinfool; 03-27-2015 at 07:48 AM.