View Single Post

Old 04-12-2015, 06:43 PM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default Engraved Smith & Wesson with Ivory Grips

Hello all,

Thank you for your warm welcome - I travelled the US East Coast on a couple of occasions in my youth (some of my best memories) and am looking forward to bring my young family out there again in the future.

My enquiry is a bit of a long shot in terms of looking into trying to obtain some provenance behind a Revolver that's been in my family for many years. It was handed down to me by my Father before he moved to warmer climes in ill health a few years ago.

The story behind the gun is as interesting as the hardware itself. The gun was at one point accompanied by a certificate to prove its provenance, but I never saw it. It was apparently presented to my great great Uncle. My Father said:

"The hand gun is reputed to have been a presentation piece given to my great uncle who had helped Professor Bell string the telephone across the west of America. He was an electrician which was like a nuclear scientist in those days."

It looks a lot like this:

Engraved Smith & Wesson No. 2 Army Revolver with Ivory Grips

I'm happy to upload a picture of it - not sure of the rules about that, and I also realise that Smith and Wesson will send you a history report if you provide them with a serial number but I'm not sure this will help me look into why it was purchased. Like I said, quite a long shot but it's always worth a try.

Many thanks,
Otter
The Following User Likes This Post: