View Single Post

Old 04-18-2015, 04:55 PM

Liked 490 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
at liberty;
I am not poo-poohing your personal experience. However, I have at least 20,000 cast bullets through my 625's and i seldom clean the barrel. I brush out the chambers with a chamber brush every time I shoot but seldom the barrel. I get NO leading.

However, I home cast my bullets (WW's+2% tin) and size to .452". I don't have the definitive answer but I have friends who have 625's and their experience mirrors mine (all 625-8's). My 625-6 (5" barrel) also works perfectly with home cast bullets

I suspect that one of two things are at play. Either the bullets are undersize for the throats (every 625-8 that I have measured has correct .4525" throats) or the bullets were too soft. We all size at .452". My most used bullet is the Mihec version of the H&G #68. I also occasionally shoot the Lyman 454424 (a 250 gr Keith) from an NOE mould.

I MUCH prefer home cast bullets as a 1911 barrel will need replacement at the 5000 round level if you use factory hardball. I have over 100,000 cast bullets through one of my 1911's and it still shoots well under 1" at 25 yards off a rest. Ray Chapman's ol' Pachmayr built 1911 had 200,000 cast rounds through his and it was still going strong. I know the topic is revolvers but thought mention of the benefits of good cast bullets were not out of place.

I have a Ruger Bisley Convertible .45 ACP/.45 Colt. When it was received it leaded terribly in just a few shots. Accuracy was noticeably less after just thirty shots. A close examination (gauged the throats) showed that the throats were undersize. After reaming with a borrowed reamer set (a Manson made for the job set complete with pilots) from a good friend, it and several other identical revolvers now shoot NRA Bullseye level (well under an inch at 25 yards from either cylinder).

I have heard the complaints regarding the EDM barrels but mine and my friends' guns have NOT exhibited that particular problem with cast bullets.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53
Thanks. I always get that kind of response from someone who casts their own. I DON'T. I buy my bullets, and I understand that in itself can be an issue with leading. It is well enough documented that EDM rifling can cause leading issues. I have tried lots of things in my JM but am done with it. I like it better than the PC and have plenty of FMJ bullets to shoot in it. When or if those are depleted, I will probably buy plated.

Last edited by at_liberty; 04-18-2015 at 04:58 PM.