View Single Post

Old 05-03-2015, 10:17 AM

Liked 70 Times in 52 Posts
Default Using small rifle primers for small pistol primers

Being the proud owner of a 39-2, 9mm pistol, I'm almost ready to reload some cases I've got from my son's. Looking at my primers on hand I had small rifle primers I've used for 22 Hornet. After searching the web for comparisons-SPP's vs. SRP's it gets technical real quick. Some "experts" say no , some have it as OK.
When I picked up my new pistol yesterday that shop had magnum SPP's but no "regular" SPP's. The shop owner looked online then & it showed a 10% pressure increase for the magnums and as the 9mm is a high pressure caliber I thought I'd look harder into the primer comparison at home.
One onliune source stated the pressure went up from regular to magnum to SRP in that order.
I'm not gonna shoot in the Olympics real soon nor do I own a chrono but I do like to load safely and none of my manuals gives info for either magnum or SRP's in a 9mm load.

What say you on using some of the many small rifle primers I have on hand for the 9mm loads?

Note the current thread here about the shortage of small pistol primers. many online sellers have them on backorder-also many have them in some brands.

I suppose hoarding is the culprit again?

It's hard for me to justify a Hazmat fee of $20 plus for a few primers-1,000 primers will last me a long time and I have plenty of suitable powders that are great for 9mm so bullets & primers are the only two items I really need to start loading. I have lots of small rifle primers too, ~7-800 of them.
Your thoughts as to most economical/safe solution?