View Single Post

Old 05-03-2015, 11:57 AM

Liked 9,310 Times in 3,723 Posts

I'd move the cuff case off the center of my back, and I can't remember how long it's been since I switched to a double case.

NYPD has a few hundred, at most, grandfathered officers who still carry .38 revolvers. (Sounds like a lot until you remember that they are over 30K sworn.) Going through O'Hare a few years ago, I chatted with a CPD officer who was still carrying a revolver; can't recall what model. I knew an officer here who on occasion would carry a 625MG in 45ACP.

As for Oklahoma HP, they seem to have a pretty flexible policy unlike most state agencies and their silly uniformity fetish. Met one 25 or so years ago during a Motor Carrier inspection who was carrying a 1911.

The reality is that it is simply much harder to shoot a revolver well (that is, both fast and accurately). Doable, but much more training time intensive. As a rule, that is not a good use of limited and expensive time for most agencies, and there is also a lot less access to properly tested service ammo in revolver calibers. There are also a lot fewer options in duty appropriate security holsters. The old school gun buckets simply don't cut it today. They didn't then, either, but we know more about safety and offender behavior.

I like my revolvers, but I am not near as proficient as one should be to carry one as a duty weapon. (But I in fact do have a Level 3 holster for a 4" N frame I could use for any of the 3.)