View Single Post

Old 05-04-2015, 04:52 AM

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentpoefie View Post
Hmmm....thing is in SA good old Federal etc. is not always available and if it is, it's at a premium price.

I've not had a chance to go shoot the rifle this week as I planned to do but this coming weekend is a 3 day weekend so I'm sure I'll have a gap to go shoot it with some other ammo. Also got some good tips to try out and make sure the gas block is aligned properly from another forum.

I'll just be happy when this rifle is functioning like its little brother. I've been more than happy with my M&P15. So I'm sure we'll get this sorted out.

If it's just the ammo I'll have to start handloading in bulk then. 3GN eats a lot of ammo.

I was looking at running 168 grainers or heavier seeing this rifle has a 1 in 10" twist rate. Should do fine with heavier bullets.

I've not shot the rifle for groups yet but at our club's open day this past weekend it hit all the steel I could put the sights on and steel and I have a hate hate relationship.
Update:

The rifle has not been touched since it last gave issues. That includes no lube, no cleaning.
I got to the range with some PMC Bulk Ammo. Loaded up the first mag. Shot it slowly and no issues.

Wondering if maybe some people "limp wristed" (or whatever you will call it for a rifle) I gave it to my friend to shoot. This would be his second time shooting a firearm and figured if a noob error would be induced he would be the man for the job. Functioned just fine.

Then I ran the gun fast and hard. Still no issues. The PMC bulk ammo isn't exactly top quality ammo but it still worked. So conclusion is that the fault was definitely ammo related. So the M&P 10 issue needing to be run in for a couple of hundred rounds with full power loads seems to have been my issue.

Now that that is sorted out I figure I have enough PMC ammo left to just run our first ever 3 Gun Nation South Africa nationals with Heavy Optics division (only because I don't feel like putting down my Versamax for a 870). Happiness is a functioning gun.

P.S. Of course the guy that worked on the gun originally was on hand and ready with an "I told you so". He was always sure he did a good job on the alignment. For him it was a matter of pride.