View Single Post

Old 05-07-2015, 04:32 AM
US Veteran

Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Some states still require security guards to carry .38's, some draconian law probably from the 1930's or something. Although many are changing because businesses don't want warehouses full of millions of dollars of equipment guarded by a guy with a Taurus 82......so now they'll be guarded by a guy with the cheapest auto the company can get away with lol the real reason is probably the old wheelguns are getting old, and Glock pretty much gives guns away to security companies, and S&W will buy back old wheelguns in exchange for an M&P contract for decades.......so security companies have no reason not to switch to auto loaders. Truth is going to Glock is cheaper than buying more cheap Taurus 82's.

I saw an armored car guard a while back with what looked like some kind of Colt revolver, the guy looked about 80 so he's probably been carrying that gun forever.

In 10 years probably less we'll see nearly 0 wheelguns in any kind of duty holster, we're kind of at the tail end of the last of the changing of the "old guard" for LEO's and security guards, and even Corrections Dept's won't buy new wheelguns since they are expensive. No state bean counter will want to pay even $500 each for new 64-8's when Glock will give them guns in some "buy 10 get 5 if you stay with Glock forever" deal......the duty gun world is starting to become plastic dominated, because they're cheap, light and they work for 7-10 years and they just buy new plastic. Duty guns are disposable now, the days of small town deputy sheriffs carrying the same S&W 13 for 40 years are over.

In 10-20 years even I'll feel like a dinosaur telling stories about how I qualified with and carried a S&W revolver with the DOC.

I even recall back in 2001 when I had a chance to go to the PA ACT 121 academy and was told I had to bring a 9mm pistol, and due to recent changes .38 revolvers were no longer authorized at the academy. Now, that wouldn't even be mentioned.

The only holdout left is the PA private armed security license certification still allows you to qualify with a .38 revolver. A lot of the smaller armored car companies let you carry pretty much anything and some people buy garbage like those Armscor M200 $200 .38 revolvers (yes I bought one years ago, they're not worth $50) or some other junk like those Argentinean "Comanches" that shoot loose in 50 rounds.....