View Single Post

Old 05-08-2015, 10:00 AM

Liked 3,823 Times in 1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
ViceGrip - Oh, do hold onto that M39 . . . or sell it to me (I'm serious). It is from very early in the production cycle of Model 39s, as shown by the location of the slide serrations.

Alas, I'm already getting a little ahead of myself, so let's undertake a little S&W M39 primer:

Smith & Wesson, bless their pea-picking hearts, tends to use up "old" parts before "going all the way" with a full-on production change.

When the 39 was first produced, it followed in the footsteps, or, if one will, the bullet holes of the "Pre-39" or (the moniker I prefer) the "No-No," and of which I have two and neither possessing a model number.

According to the Blue Book of Gun Values, Internet Edition, which I prefer mainly due to its ability to more quickly react to pricing trends), parts from the No-No and Model 39 were intermixed during the Model's earliest construction.

Now, while a "31,000" serial number may sound huge (and is) S&W at that time assigned serial numbers randomly. As an example of such, The Blue Book states: "There is no positive serial number that can be established when the (Model 39) number was added, however it occurred between serial number 2500(*) and 5000, with the production changes taking place somewhat randomly over the same serial range. It must be remembered that Smith & Wesson did not make pistols in order of serial number."

(* As one can see when perusing my No-No photo album herein this incredibly wonderful forum, my first No-No retains Serial Number 2623, so it can be said that the insertion of the "39" model number took place sometime after the No-No possessed by yours truly.)

The Blue Book additionally states: ". . . slides were fitted without regard for serial numbers. For example, serial number 1069, which was shipped from the factory on Oct. 4, 1955, has the patent pending marking, while 1,150 that shipped on July 7, 1955 does not." (SIC)

One final point on the serial numbers: Models 41 and 52 (no dash) semi-automatics were introduced during the same time frame when the No-No and M39 were going through its gyrations (again, keeping in mind that Models 41 and 52 dove into the same pool of serial numbers in which the No-No and M39 were already swimming.

Again according to The Blue Book, the ". . . distinguishing features of the Pre-39 compared to the Model 39 are as follows: short safety, short tang, a unique frame back strap insert and hammer stirrup, a unique left grip (no safety relief), no trigger play spring (and) no model number on frame."

Given the placement of your slide's serrations and that the pawl lever is very short (compared to the M39 and M39-2) it is evident that your slide was among those Model 39s that got some of the leftover No-No parts intermixed with the M39 changes.

Indeed, the "intermixed" or, perhaps as appropriately, "intermingled parts" phenomena can be again witnessed in the change from the M39 to the M39-2, the so-called "RSR Transitionals" as well as other model lines.

And, one last thing, ViceGrip, PUHLEEZE post a pic or two of your M39's OTHER side!!! I'd really, really like to see it. You may even have one of the very limited number of a third type of extractor. Man, are you ever on Happy Street (or should be!).

Best.
DCW, I really enjoyed your commentary on the early 39s and the "no-no". I had never heard them referred to as no-no. Anyway, I thought you might like to see a couple of pics of my no-no. Serial number 1539 pat pending markings.

The Following 2 Users Like Post: