Thread: SD9VE
View Single Post

Old 05-11-2015, 08:08 AM

Liked 70 Times in 54 Posts

The way I understand it, the trigger safety is a "drop safety" and not a "get it caught in clothing" safety. The trigger safety is to keep the trigger from moving rearward under enough momentum during a drop. For instance, if the gun is dropped on the grip end from a good distance, the momentum of the trigger components could be enough such that when the gun frame stops, the trigger keeps moving rearward, potentially causing a discharge. The trigger safety prevents this...the return spring on the trigger joint is heavy enough such that the momentum of the joint cannot overcome the spring -- so the trigger will never move rearward unless it's pulled. It can still be pulled with clothing.

Also: the M&P's striker is not technically fully cocked. You can consider it "mostly cocked", though. I think Smith says that it's 98% cocked...the ramp angle on the sear pulls the striker rearward before it releases it. With this design, I think they can still call it a "double action" handgun (to be able to sell to more departments).