View Single Post

Old 05-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Banned

Liked 546 Times in 277 Posts

Wow, makes no sence to me why a guy would talk down about a brand new pistol that he hasnt shot yet. why did you even buy it if you have your mind set that it already needs money invested in it to make it "run better"? If you want to spend $92 bux on a aftermarket trigger because you feel the engineers at S&W are incompetent then that's your choice. Me, I would rather see you spend $92 bux on ammo and then come back & talk to us about how smooth the pistol got after you ran 500 rounds thru it.

The Shield MRSP is $449, the Kahr MRSP is $460

I owned a Kahr CW40 which is very similar to your CW9. And although I did like it initially, it wasnt my cup of tea & I traded it in for a new Shield 40. Although both pistols are nearly the same in size the grip on the kahr with a magazine is about 1/2" longer.

Things I didnt like about the Kahr.

1. Grip was too thin for my hand (i have medium size hands)
2. Front sight is pinned on polymer plastic
3. comes with only one magazine
4. Magazine springs were a b!tch to put back in after disassembly for cleaning & the polymer follower has this silly metal tab in it that protrudes & rubs against the inside of the mag well..
5. There was noticable play (up/down movement) in the rear of the slide when pulling the trigger.
6. there is only one recoil spring that is apart from the recoil guide rod (non captive spring) and it's not the easiest to put back in after cleaning... and finally.
7. Take down on all Kahr's is not difficult but if you're not careful you can damage the slide release spring when reinserting the take down/slide lock lever. That spring by the way is screwed into the polymer frame, if that ever strips out, you're going to have to get the frame replaced...In addition Kahr only has a 5 year warranty and the warranty is not transferable to a new owner if you go to sell it.

Now on to the S&W Shield & why I traded my Kahr for another Shield.

1. S&W lifetime service warranty that is transferable
2. the fit & finish on the Shield is top quaility, no movement of the slide while depressing the trigger.
3. recoil springs are a captive design making it much easier for maintainence
4. Shield's come with two magazines.
5. Shield fits better in my hand...
6. Both front & rear sights are steel
7. Magazines are easier to disassemble & reassemble & are smoother in operation when compared to the Kahr.
8. There are more accessories & holsters available on the market for the Shield's.
9. Take down is much simplier & easier than the Kahr.

What stores can you name sell Kahr magazines? The Academy 2.8 miles from my home stocks S&W mags for many models including the shield every day. Kahr mags cost a few bucks more too ...

Now dont get me wrong, Kahr makes a fine pistol but for the money invested, one is better off with a M&P Shield. I feel the quaility, fit & finish, the extra mag, the much better captive recoil spring, the melanite coating on the slide is the toughest in the industry & the S&W lifetime warranty for the Shield is a no brainer...

I have a Texas CHL & my Shield 40 is what I trust my life with...

Last edited by CaptRon956; 05-15-2015 at 10:03 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: