View Single Post

Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts

Hondo - The bullets I bought from Buff Arms are .429 and are intended for the 44-40, black powder. They have SPG lube and weigh 200 grains. I'm gonna try them. The five different types of bullets I've tried so far measure .431 (standard cast for .44 magnum and special). As for the slugging... I measured the lead slugs again and can't say that this is accurate but the cylinder measures .430 exactly and the bore is less than that. How much? Can't measure it very well because of the odd number of rifling.
As for this thread, might as well ask me why I love my dog. The .44 Special is the finest cartridge ever devised for a handgun and the model 24 is without a doubt the best firearm ever produced to fire it. For years I have wanted one and finally I have one. Second choice (one I'm still looking for) is a 2nd gen Colt, 5.5" or 7.5". Third would be the Colt New Frontier (current "production"). But for the coolness factor, the model 24 is it. I have a model 21 (4") and she points and shoots great but nowhere near as cool as the model 24. I just need to figure out a good load - I know the gun can do better than the one range session I've had with her. Thanks - m