View Single Post

Old 05-21-2015, 04:12 PM

Liked 2,082 Times in 606 Posts
Default Phil's Colt Detective Special

This Colt Detective Special was presented to Phil Roettinger by the President of Colt Firearms when Phil finished his "training course" of work experience at the Colt Plant sometime before he came down here to open up his Mexican Firearms Business in Mexico City where some off-the-books items were made for C.I.A. use. He always showed it to me with such pride and at the time that he owned it there wasn't even a turn-ring as he had the hammer zip-tied in place. Although I have Phil's NRM, I have never been asked about it by any of Phil's old pals down here but I have been asked "did he ever show you his Detective Special?" so I guess he esteemed it enough to show it off to others and not just to me.

When Phil passed away, this gun went to Colonel Phil Maher who left it when he became ill to a local Doctor, gun enthusiast, (and former San Miguel Mayor) who is a good friend of my own also. Although I have seen the D.S. many times since I never happened to have a camera with me. Last weekend I went over to Doc's to look at some old Mexican Revolution-type guns that a patient had asked the Doc to sell for her just to see if there was anything worthwhile in the pickings so I took my camera and asked Doc if I could photograph Phil's D.S. .

Here it is, as it sits now which is pretty much the same as it was when Phil had it except that Doc has shot it since it fell into his care. But it has a good home, believe me. A beautiful D.S., and Doc is delighted to own it for sure.

And now, the flip-side. Yes, I believe the Pachmayr grip adapter was mounted on it by Phil, not by Doc.

Last edited by calmex; 11-10-2019 at 08:42 PM.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: