View Single Post

Old 06-09-2015, 12:45 AM

Liked 75 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjin316 View Post
Want to add my own experience....my rifle short stroked like crazy. I first shot maybe 50 rounds completely stock to check function and it short stroked maybe 5 times with 145 gr ppu. Didnt short stroke with ppu 168 gr bthp. I thought it was just break-in, so i called it good and installed luth-ar stock with dpms rifle length buffer tube and s&w supplied spacer. Shot over 250 rds after install and it was short stroking pretty much everything i put in it. Some ammo will short stroke more than others it seems. It short stroked a lot with 145 gr ppu which i thought was normal during break-in, but it would still short stroke occasionally with black hills 168 and federal 168, even after 200 rds shot. After i cleaned and re-lubed, i took it out again with freedom 168gr a-max and bthp and it started off short stroking every 5 rds or so but it got progressively worse as the bcg soaked that lube up. When i got to the a-max rds, it literally short stroked every round. Also i can hear and feel the bcg cycling when shooting as it was slightly delayed. Also, i always thought the action on this gun was pretty stiff since day one, but it was somewhat noticeably stiffer when i went with the rifle length stock. So obviously i was pretty frustrated that after 300 plus rds, it was still short stroking. So i decided to remove the spacer to see what would happen. INSTANT FIX. None of the rds including the 145gr ppu were short stroking. I didnt feel the bcg cycling slightly after the round goes off like before, but now it feels like the gun is firing and cycling at the same time. Charging the gun doesnt take much effort as it used to. It still takes a little more effort than a standard ar15, but it doesnt feel like i need to work out to charge the gun anymore.
Im gonna call sw to see what the deal is here...

Recap:
Installed spacer for rifle length stock, still short stroking after 300 plus rds of all types, i could feel and hear the bcg being slightly delayed after round goes off, removed spacer and gun functions perfectly. Who knew....
You need to ck some lengths on components. That spacer is there for a reason. It is a mechanical stop for bolt travel. Just sayin,