View Single Post

Old 06-12-2015, 03:33 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,375 Times in 5,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris642 View Post
I guess that might depend on the gun, the climate and/or your chosen profession, but I think that's a bit excessive, unnecessary and unrealistic for most average civilians to clean their CCW's daily.

I use compressed air to blow out any lint or dust in my 642, then wipe it down with a silicone treated cloth at least once every other week and it looks and performs flawlessly. When I do add any lube it is usually done after shooting practice, which may only be once or twice a month. I dry fire practice and handle it enough in between to know if there are any issues it may be having.
I think you misread my post. I did not recommend daily cleaning. I recommended a daily wipe-down when putting the piece aside at the end of the day. Takes about one minute to visually check the piece and wipe it down.

I got into the habit of daily inspection and wipe-down while in Vietnam. Followed through for 24 years in law enforcement. The habit stuck and I'm still following the same routine 46 years later.

Weekly I break my pistol down and do a light cleaning. After a shooting session it takes me about 10 minutes to thoroughly clean the piece.

I don't find any of these chores excessive or time-consuming. When I was building houses I took care of all of my tools at the end of every day, much the same way. I try to walk around my truck every day, look at the tires and other equipment, and I check the oil and other fluids every time I fill the gas tank.

If I am relying on a piece of equipment it makes sense to take care of it.

Best regards.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: