View Single Post

Old 07-03-2015, 07:43 AM

Liked 490 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosader View Post
sorry I'm a noob when it comes to revolvers but can someone tell me the difference in these two guns?
44 S&W Special can be found in a gun size that you might actually carry (5 shot DA or Ruger Flat Top six shooter SA). The either/or gun is bigger and heavier.

.44 S&W Special will probably require mail ordering your ammo or reloading, but I find 44 Mag is pretty standard in a gun store ammo selection.

.44 S&W Special gives me a shooting experience that seems close to .45 ACP like your Glock.

When I shoot. 44 Mag, I am good for a couple cylinders, and then it isn't fun anymore. I do love it though, and it shoots remarkably well until the flinch sets it. With .44 Special I run through ammo quickly and wish I had more. I reloaded some last evening.

I wouldn't be thinking Dirty Harry for your first time out. The do-everything-but-hunt gun is the 38 S&W Special, lacking the drama and ear-splitting noise of the .357. Get something you can comfortably carry and, if necessary, shoot without ear protection, and go from there.