View Single Post

Old 07-05-2015, 12:52 AM

Liked 1,025 Times in 510 Posts

As others have suggested, you almost certainly should NOT start out with a lightweight snub nose as your first gun. It's like trying to learn to fly in a Lear Jet - it's theoretically possible, but almost guaranteed not to be successful, or at least to take much longer than if you had started with an appropriate platform.

Better to start with a more manageable gun that you can stand to shoot enough to get good with it - the steel K frames are ideal for the purpose, such as the suggested 64, 65, or the venrable Model 10. If you must have a gun that you can carry concealed, consider a 2" version of one of those K frames (I carried my 2" Model 64 today - it's a pretty solid chunk of steel, but with a Lobo belt and holster it stayed precisely where I put it all day.)

And if you absolutely must have the smaller J frame size, then consider only the steel guns. Personally, I prefer the snag-free models like the 49 and 649, or the 640. Given my druthers I'd pick one of the 357 Magnum versions, not to shoot the (painful, to me) magnum rounds but for the extra length of ejector rod that you get with the slightly longer barrel that the magnum models have, which makes extraction of 38 Special cases is a bit more reliable. The slight bit of extra weight also helps with the recoil.
The Following User Likes This Post: