View Single Post

Old 07-09-2015, 06:04 PM

Liked 7,748 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by handejector View Post
The link you speak of was to an ad that I ran in the Vendor's Forum on this board. Since the ad had run in the Vendor Forum, discussion posts were allowed in the thread.

Once the collection had been sold, I moved the ad to storage. It does have a lot of good data in it, so I dug it up, "sanitized" the ad aspects, and moved it to here-

FBI Gun Collection of Jerry Campbell

Enjoy it!
Thanks for that, Lee, I've posted some info on your re-vitalised thread. On a related matter, the thread and the Myers catalogues reminds that, though popular lore has dictated what we think a Threepersons holster is, in reality it's unsettled.

The Campbell holster would generally be considered a Threepersons, being a spare scabbard riding high on the belt with a grip-forward carry and with the front of the trigger guard resting on a welted seam. Myers not only knew Threepersons, and made his holsters -- but the Myers holsters that Sam called Threepersons didn't always fit this notion.

From Myers' 1931 catalogue, the pic at at bottom right is a spare scabbard but the trigger guard hoop is covered:

myers 31 (1).jpg

And later in that catalogue (I understand Sam's first holster catalogue) Myer's shoulder holster is also a Threepersons and doesn't begin to fit the concept:

myers 31 (2).jpg

A holster actually belonging to Tom would seem to fit the description but has a straight drop. The trademark belt loop on the back (not shown here) is typical of a Myers:

5 (2).jpg

And Cambell's holster appears by Myers' 1938 catalogue, which is contemporary to the appearance of Heiser's 457 holster that same year:

2b.jpg

Not only did Myers, Heiser, and Crump produce this, but I've only just learned that Colorado Saddlery did, too. Not too surprising given that the latter company was formed by four former Heiser employees, one of whom was Al Kippen. Al went on to have patents of his own while working for Bucheimer, then Smith & Wesson which became Gould & Goodrich.

Last edited by rednichols; 07-09-2015 at 06:09 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: