View Single Post

Old 07-19-2015, 07:36 PM

Liked 28,133 Times in 8,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigp220.45 View Post
I haven't seen a thread about this yet, but if I missed one please delete.

Apparently a law authorizing the issuance of a military veteran card to guys who did some time but didn't retire (thereby getting a retired ID card) has passed and is awaiting signature.

Congress Passes Law Creating ID Card for Veterans | Military.com

Some states will put a veteran indicator on a DL, but not all do and not everyone has a DL.

The VA will issue a health card, but not everyone qualifies for VA health care (I don't).

It seems like a good idea to me. I never ask for the vet discounts and I don't walk around with a DD-214, but it would be nice to have the card. I wonder if it would work to shop in the commissary or BX?

Would you get one?
I'm trying really hard not to be mean here. I know a very few veterans that actually retired from the military. I know several that did their 3 or 4 years and got out. I know many, many, many more that did less than a year, some who didn't even finish basic, before they were separated for the good of the service by mutual agreement. They all call themselves veteran's, and stand up in front of the crowd when veterans are honored at the school or park . . .

What's the baseline for getting a card?

Last edited by Muss Muggins; 07-19-2015 at 07:37 PM.