View Single Post

Old 07-22-2015, 11:16 AM

Liked 29,239 Times in 13,823 Posts
Default How COOL that would be....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCHDOG View Post
When I was a kid, we used to dream about stuff like this with our remote control model airplanes with those little .049 engines. And remember those big 4-foot "weather balloons" you could get from ads in magazines or at science hobby stores? In the late fifties, we were hooking up all sorts of stuff to those things and letting them go...God knows where they ended up.

We've seen those TV shows where folks build robots and they fight it out? I won't be surprised if someone comes up with some show like Drone Dogfights or something.

You got that nailed on the head. The stuff we dreamed up taking toys to a higher level was a wellspring. I remember how cool we thought it would be to put bb guns on our bicycle handlebars so we could 'dogfight'. I saw where they actually marketed a hand cranked one in those 'black soap' and 'Real 6' Frankenstein' ads in the comic books. I'll bet whatever kid ordered that would have been as disappointed as Gene Shepherd in the 'Christmas Story' when he realized that the secret decoder said, "Drink Ovaltine".