View Single Post

Old 07-30-2015, 07:50 PM

Liked 9,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

The spring loaded striker(firing pin) isn't free to move back and forth
Sear engagement is on the firing pin itself and the sear.
If for some reason the firing pin moved forward when the gun was dropped, it would have to have either slipped off of the sear (bad sear engagement) or sheared the sear engagement edges off.
The FP is either cocked,,or down hard on the cartridge or empty chamber.

The thumb safety and the grip safety only blocks the sear bar (sometimes called the trigger bar). This sear bar is only one part of the group that make up the firing system. Trigger, trigger bar, sear lever & firing pin.
All 4 of these move and engage on different planes to interlock and produce the motion needed to lift the sear bar off of the engaged firing pin sear edge, releasing it and firing the pistol.
The often spoken of 'hard' trigger on a Luger usually comes from poorly fitted mongrel parts or someone that has decided to smooth up an already well fitted pistol.
They are not easy to work on and the L shaped sear lever pinned inside the side plate seems to get the most abuse by table top trigger'smiths.

Anyway, the safety(s) block only the sear bar on the left side of the frame from rotating during trigger pull. Neither blocks the heavy firing pin under spring tension, neither blocks the trigger itself.
You depend on the near perfect fit of the safety against the sear bar to prevent it from rotating enough to release the firing pin and fire the pistol.
***With an Unloaded Pistol***You can watch the sear bar on many pistols move(rotate) slightly in it's slot on the left side of the frame when on 'safe' and trigger is pulled.
That movement if there is any, is disengagement of the sear from the firingpin

That's a very nice looking Mauser Luger from the '70's
The Swiss Model was the first style made and the early ones were very nice. Collectors nit picked them of course and wanted the standard P08 style which they got later,,along with a bunch of other variations that became nothing more than commemoratives in my view.
The later production lacked the better fit and sharp line polishing that this one shows. Some were real bad and had sloppy buffer job polishing jobs.

I use MegGar magazines as substitute mags in several original Lugers and have excellent results with them. I've never used one in one of these 70's production Mauser Luger pistols so I can't say anything about how they work there.
FWIW, the MegGar have a strong spring too,,and I usually only load 5 rds in them. Either that or my hands have really fallen apart!

Last edited by 2152hq; 07-30-2015 at 08:00 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: