View Single Post

Old 08-08-2015, 08:46 AM

Liked 485 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTG_COLLECTOR View Post
What started it was the 1986 FBI Miami incident. After the smoke had cleared the FBI thoroughly damned the 9mm 115STHP as being the reason why their agents got killed and shot up.

After the FBI held their symposium to pick their ammo, the FBI decided to issue the Winchester Olin Super Match 147JHP Subsonic Type-L ammo to their agents. Other agencies jumped onto the "Me Too" Band Wagon and started using the same ammo with very unimpressive results in real life.

The Win OSM Type-L bullet & loading was never designed for use out of handguns, and the first generation 147 loads from Federal and Remington didn't do any better.

That was the start of the "bad rap" for the 9mm 147JHP loads.
This was our first duty load for our new G17s in the late '80s. We never had any shootings with it, so cannot comment on that. These were the cleanest burning loads I have ever encountered. The empty cases had no soot or discoloration on them after firing.
I had forgotten about this until I found a small stash of this stuff at the house and shot it at the range. Still shot very clean. Due to all the bad press this load got, I still have a phobia about 147 grain 9mm loads and prefer the Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ load on the rare occasion that I carry a 9mm. YMMV.