View Single Post

Old 08-16-2015, 10:40 PM

Liked 1,574 Times in 578 Posts
Default Gunz I love to hate

Never liked snubs in calibers that start with ".4".
44 Snubs.jpg

So how'd I end up with four?
Well, two aren't really mine. Currently in my safe for safekeeping while the owner assesses whether he'll ever shoot anything bigger than a pea-shooter again. Hands and wrists kinda beat up.
Second from left is a 629-1. Was at a gunshow in '96 and saw it on a table with an ammo box missing 11 cartridges. Guy in his late 70s wearing sunglasses indoors was selling it for a lot more that I wanted to pay. I low-balled him $200 and he waved me away. That was Friday night. Went back Sunday p.m. and it was still on the table. $200? Nope, he said. As I turned away he said "250"?
So I got it and the remaining 39 cartridges.
First round out the barrel I knew why he was selling it.
Hated it. Kept it for the "Awe geez" factor.
Then the 624. Colleague selling it said it was a Lew Horton Combat Special, 624 no dash. Had no idea what that meant. $325 later it was mine. Had the box, no holster or other stuff I read was supposed to be included. Didn't care. Was OK for me with .44 Special. Glad it couldn't take Magnums.
Barely got it home before another colleague saw it. Wanted to buy it, I said "No", but I'd loan it to him. Was another 4 years before I got it back. Friend of mine really likes it so I keep it just to rile him up.
The other two belong to said friend. One of them, the second from the right, a 629-4 frequently accompanies his professional military son. Where, I don't ask.
The one on the right is a "Trail Boss" I'm told, but it has no graphic on it. I suppose the unfluted cylinder is to give it a tad more weight to help with recoil. I don't think it works worth a crab. I'll bet Maganporting would help.
I'm content with 4" barrels on .44s. Mountain Guns, or my 29-2.
I did fire one snubby I thought was OK. It was a 45ACP 1917, Colt or S&W I don't remember. Barrel was cut to 2". Original or by a gunsmith I don't know, but it looked well done. The .45ACP wasn't too bad to shoot. But it was still a huge gun and the reach to the trigger was purely heroic. No thanks.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: