View Single Post

Old 08-17-2015, 01:15 PM

Liked 9,470 Times in 4,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTx View Post
As I get older, I'm measuring more and more stuff by whether or not it will last me the rest of my life.

I have enough primers, powder and bullets. Way too many guns.

I've bought my last car, put the last roof on the house, raised the last kid and already worked the last day of the last job.

Now we see which lasts longer, my stuff or me?
On man! Does that ever hit home.

Retirement without a defined benefit pension and just a lousy, beat-up 401(k) or IRA plus SS forces one to think that way. There is a set amount of money left, more or less (that is, if you are lucky and manage not to lose it), and it has got to last until you kick the bucket or else.

So everything I buy these days must be measured using its... and my... expected lifespans.

It's not the little things so much, like toothpaste and toilet paper. Rather, it's the big things like cars, equipment, lawnmowers, appliances et al. And like you say, even things like roofs, paint jobs, tires and bulk ammo or reloading supplies fall into that category.

My dwindling little IRA says I'm probably not going to make it. I just knew I should have gone to work for the government instead.
The Following User Likes This Post: