View Single Post

Old 08-20-2015, 11:02 PM

Liked 9,287 Times in 3,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiBear View Post
The news last night had a report of a drone looking into the bedroom window of a woman.

Police were called. No laws that they know of was broken.

What about a camera on the drone.
I cannot think of a statute here that would be violated by lasering the camera, except maybe "Malicious Mischief", which is more or less intentional destruction of another person's property. And that would require that the camera be damaged; not my skillset, but I doubt it.

As for the bedroom window thing, depending on the facts, under state law here, that could be "voyeurism", which is a felony (with all the problems that presents for the future) and a "sex offense", so registration and all that fun stuff. I'd file it, and I think most of my colleagues would.

A county to the north of us had a trial last year in which someone was charged for shooting down a drone over their property. "Not guilty" verdict. Some of that may have been driven by the fact that the drone owner is from the I5 Corridor, compounding the privacy advocate concerns about the drone. I am not sure, since I am not in the criminal division, but I doubt anyone in my office would be inclined to charge a drone shooter. I am not going to advocate shooting down drones because of the collateral risks, but it sure won't bother me.

The selfish behavior of drone owners has interfered with fire fighting and other public safety duties here. I am pretty sure that such will become a crime in a lot of places as a result.

Last edited by Doug M.; 08-20-2015 at 11:03 PM.