View Single Post

Old 08-30-2015, 06:03 PM
S&W Historian

Liked 11,309 Times in 2,886 Posts

Sal
What I meant was if records are still available from that time, a hand search might show what happened to a particular gun. "Open on the books" could be something as simple as who ever was logging guns into the shipping records had two guns going to the same place and neglected to enter the second gun (yours). I've seen an invoice number for two guns that are 20 to 30 guns apart. It would be almost impossible to hand search all the invoices to find a gun that is missing in the shipping records. I know of an instance back in the 1980's were a Regulation Police was found in the vault during inventory. The gun happened to have been in another department for whatever reason and just showed up in the vault. A friend of mine went into Employee Sales and asked if he could buy the gun. He did and they filled out the forms. That gun would read Open on the records as the shipped book had look been stored away by that time. The gun if you did a detailed earch would in fact show the disposition of that gun.