View Single Post

Old 09-03-2015, 04:45 PM

Liked 1,497 Times in 787 Posts
Default Some FAA information about operating commercial drones

I had not intended to extend this, at some times very silly, thread.
However I came across an article that is interesting, fairly official, legal information regarding (the commercial use of) drones or "unmanned aircraft systems".

I am a retired broadcast engineer and get several radio and TV engineering rags online.
One of them posted a link to this article intended for news gathering organizations.

The legal picture for hobby use I liken to a light fog bank: not clear at all if it's even there.
For commercial use it's more like a quagmire or pig sty.
The potential connection is that some folks would like to make the hobby users go thru much of the official riga-marole that the business people now have to.
These rules, like many things the feds do, seems to change about as often as NASCAR rules.

One thing to notice in these rules and procedures is limitation to NOT fly over the public without permission.
" no drone-flying over (or within 500 feet of) “nonparticipating” persons unless those persons (a) are protected by adequate barriers or structures or (b) have given their consent and the operation doesn’t constitute an undue hazard to them."

This kind of language would put the kibosh on most of the drone activity discussed previously.

Anyways here is the link:

The FAA's Drone Drill: An Introduction
The Following User Likes This Post: