View Single Post

Old 09-05-2015, 03:25 PM

Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
The mag follower is supposed to push the slide lock up when empty. Simply pulling the slide rearward will not release the slide stop.

The mag springs are crazy stiff when new. Trying to manually press down the slide stop on an inserted empty mag requires much force. You may simply not be pressing hard enough.

So in the end, this sounds normal to me.

I do not release my slide with an empty mag inserted. I drop the mag , even if it's only and inch, then release the slide.

A few other semis I have provide enough leverage to press the slide lock down with an empty mag. My M&Ps typically do not. It's even tougher on a Shield.
Well son ofa gun; you're right.....nearly!

With my Shield, I can easily close the slide with an empty magazine inserted. Same with my other, non-S&W self loading pistols.

But I did insert one round (that was quite stiff!) and yes, I could then use the slide release to close the slide. I did have to help it a bit with my left hand moving the slide backward just a bit. I suppose that's all just the nuisances of a new pistol. But man, I have NEVER had such difficulty loading just the first round in any double stack magazine! On my Shield it's difficult to load the last round, but the first goes in without effort. The first round with the 9c's magazine I loaded to do my test I did without putting the base of the mag on a solid surface, like my desk. However, I did load 12 rounds in the 9c's remaining magazines by placing the base of the magazine firmly on my desk, and they loaded okay. I'm going to let my three magazines "rest", fully loaded, until I get a chance to shot this new pistol in a few weeks! Hopefully the next magazine loads will be much easier.

Thanks for the reply - you hit the nail on the head. Just goes to show that even when we think we know a lot about something, there is always more to learn!

Last edited by papersniper; 09-05-2015 at 03:40 PM.