View Single Post

Old 09-27-2015, 12:39 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
Read this by Ed Harris Ed Harris: Revisiting The Full Charge Wadcutter. – www.GrantCunningham.com
Makes great sense, as C. E. Harris usually does. But this requires handloading, and many of us don't.

Harris wondered why factories don't make similar loads. First, their WC bullets are usually soft swaged and will lead at high velocity. Secondly, they want to charge more to make JHP ammo, I think. And they doubt that these would sell well to the general public, which knows little about handgun ammo.

The Buffalo Bore WC ammo is quite costly, and one may as well shoot the JHP loads. But I like the idea where one is using a gun not warranted for Plus P ammo or to avoid excess wear with regular practice.

If anyone here has shot deer, coyotes, etc. with the BB wadcutters or their SWC-HP ammo, please post. With details!

Note Harris's comments about soft frame steel in blued S&W .38's made before the early 1990's. I've never seen that posted before. But it makes me even happier to use stainless guns. And note what he wrote about Ruger Six-series guns ordered by police departments where the issued load was the lead Plus P round. Very interesting! If I understood him, their .357 guns weren't affected, nor were SP or GP Rugers.

Read that linked article. It's well worth the time it'll take, which shouldn't be much.