View Single Post

Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 AM

Liked 3,352 Times in 1,336 Posts

The personally owned 686 I carried during my service was the best defensive revolver I've ever owned or shot. After five years of service, my agency went to Sig Sauer for handguns, and we were all for it, since our agency issue Mod. 19's were old and had been passed down in less than perfect condition throughout their long tenure. Besides, it was getting late in the 20th Century, and it was time to upgrade to semi-autos like all the rest of the forward thinking agencies. We immediately noticed a decline in accuracy, although the Sigs were totally reliable and fed and digested just about everything. I learned to become proficient with the Sigs, but after time, that newness wore off. Unfortunately, my agency made a complete conversion with no provision for officers to retain revolvers. Many of us carried a J frame in our vest or in an ankle rig, despite the policy. When I left the service, I rat holed four snubby Mod. 10 revolvers in the armory safe for posterity. They were supposed to be returned to a central armory for further disposition. After learning that half a dozen Mod. 66 revolvers I sent them had been destroyed because the agency had a policy of not selling off agency firearms, I chose to spare the model 10s that fate. Perhaps someday, some younger guy in charge of the armory at my old duty station will get a surprise in cracking open the safe and finding some old wheel guns lying there waiting to be taken to the range.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: