View Single Post

Old 10-10-2015, 08:03 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik View Post
I'm gonna be the odd man out here. As a fan of firearms I had one. An H&R mix match whatever. ...it was irrelevant to me. The stock was repainted and you could see the training # on it through the paint. The rifle was solid but had severe throat erosion however it shot great. I got it for a steal along with 2k rounds of surplus 7.62. But realistically it didn’t do anything my more modern rifles didn't do. Since I'm not a bench shooter my other rifles were shorter, faster, lighter with more ammo AND cheaper to feed....much much cheaper. So I sold it. Happy to try it, nice rifle but nothing special
An AR is cheaper to shoot (I get 200 rounds of surplus 30-06 for 120 bucks shipped), but I don't shoot hundreds of rounds a session, nor would I want to in a 30-06. What the Garand has over more modern firearms is the history. I just can't describe it. When I got my first Garand, I looked at the AR in the safe and just went "bleh". Nothing like 8 big BOOMs followed by that iconic PING. Every time I take it to the range, it gets attention and compliments. Always have people ask me where I got it. I tell them about the CMP and that they can have a Garand shipped right to their door for 730 bucks. Many of those who asked ran home to order one.

As for the stock being painted, some people keep them looking that way, but stripping a wood stock and applying several coats of tung or boiled linseed oil make it look almost new again. You can even steam out the dings in the wood and lightly sand the stock if that's your thing.

Last edited by kbm6893; 10-10-2015 at 08:07 AM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: