View Single Post

Old 10-26-2015, 07:53 AM

Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcr View Post
With the pictured gun being off 1/2 a groove, does it still shoot to point of aim? I could not imagine it being many degrees from the proper position and a sight adjustment should correct the problem although it should not have come that way.

You can see the damage to the key seat in your pictures, so somebody really put the torque or a shock to it during installation. Stainless resists compression very well.
It's off by more than half a groove; look at how the ends of the lines on the frame serrations veer off left, instead of going straight at the ends. It's a major annoyance to look at, and would kill the resale value should I ever decide to sell it. I didn't fire the gun. I emailed S&W pictures immediately, got no response, then called them the following Monday and initiated the pickup process. It also has numerous dings and gouges, and is missing the front sight pin. Due to the canting, the edge of the barrel shroud is protruding into the ejector rod channel. And, of course, you've seen the pic as to the damaged "key seat" you mentioned. Lastly, there are circular scratch lines (like you'd see on a fired cylinder) along the ejector rod, a bit below the knob. When pushing the rod in, it starts meeting resistance 75-80% down. I tried that out when I saw the scratches, since it is obviously hitting something inside the cylinder. I oiled it, and it didn't help. Slight bend in the rod somewhere?

No way I'd accept this, so why bother firing it? It went right back.

EDIT (to add): No, by eye sight the front blade didn't appear to be extremely off left. If that were the only defect, and it wasn't a two piece barrel with the mismatched serrations, damage and protrusion into the ejector rod channel, I probably would've tried adjusting the sight to the right to see if it fired reasonable groups and keeping it if it did. But, I know that if I were looking to buy a used revolver and saw those serrations ... instant deal breaker on a used gun.

Last edited by bigfatty; 10-26-2015 at 08:11 AM.