View Single Post

Old 10-26-2015, 09:36 PM

Liked 6,258 Times in 2,170 Posts

The gun is well done. Over the years I've seen some and even bought a few. Its difficult to impossible to nail down the origin of the engraver. One I bought maybe 15 years ago is just spectacular. So I took it to the big Louisville gun show. I handed it to a friend there, Jeff Flannery, to see if he could shed any light. He did what I did, and what you should do. Look at every inch of the gun, over and over. Look for any kind of signature or makers mark. Such an inspection can easily take hours. Take the grips off and look at the grip frame, too. With my gun we found no joy. But walking up aisle toward us was the then president of the engravers guild. He looked for a good long time. Then he admitted he didn't know the artist, and gave the opinion that he wasn't in the guild, but should be.

My suggestion to you would be to attend a show near where you live and see if you can find an engraver to look at it. Engravers do a better job of looking than you or I. They know the art and where someone may have placed a signature or indication of who did it. If you fail, try another engraver. Gun experts are a dime a dozen. If you trust one, you could have them look at it. You could even post a close up of the inlay. Not because we'd gain much, but I'd love to see it!