View Single Post

Old 11-01-2015, 09:48 PM

Liked 3,889 Times in 1,361 Posts

Those distinctly mediocre Armscor guns are sold as cartridge .38 specials in the United States for circa 200$. I had one. I would much rather have a BP Pietta 1858 Remington clone.

The 1858s sold these days are actually 1863 models. There is a 5.5" bbl model. Cabelas sells them on sale for a bit over $200.

Mine would jam up after maybe three cylinders, but you could carry all six chambers loaded with the hammer down on a safety notch. I did in fact carry mine with a .45 Colt cylinder loaded with 5 rounds at times.

There also exists for the European market BP only 1873.

The 5.5" 1858 in .44 or the ahistorical 6 shot .36 caliber "1862" revolvers will work as carry guns. If they need to be snubbed, well you get out a hacksaw and a file.

My 1858 Pietta stood up to very stout loads. I put in some BP, put a Pyrodex pellet on top of that, then some more BP then hammer in a bullet with a mallet. I watched what these did to target boards and the sorts of craters they left in dirt. Were I to use one for a social gun, I think that is how I would load it up. I had to use Remington number 10 caps for best results.

Cylinder changes....eh...if you need to reload a BP gun you need a spare gun. Unless you are under cover and have a lot of practice.