View Single Post

Old 11-07-2015, 11:28 AM

Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts

Interesting thread. I just picked up a 9mm Shield yesterday. I've been carrying a Ruger SR9c for a few months, but it has a persistent fail-to-reset issue with the trigger. 3 trips to Ruger have improved but not eliminated it. I've completely lost confidence in carrying that as my primary EDC. So, the Shield.

I also looked at the MP9c, but it is too thick to fit unobtrusively in my Smart Carry holster, my EDC system. I have to carry deeply concealed, being "made" would be a big problem. The Shield just disappears in it. Thickness is the single biggest factor for ease of concealment, and the Shield wins hands down. (Oddly enough, it's not much thinner than my SR9c; I really like that pistol but just can't carry one that's unreliable.).

I've only fired 50 rounds with the Shield. With some practice and figuring out how to get a solid hold on the small grip I think it will be fine. My hands are ridiculously big, and holding the Shield well is going to take a while to develop.

At 15 feet or so I was getting under 2 inch groups. At 21 feet, it scattered some more and groups were more like 3-4". It's driven by the grip; I can feel it. But my one hand grip completely engulfs the whole grip. To open space for a proper two hand grip, left hand palm on the weapon, I have to monkey around with the right hand's position. If I could find some sort of aftermarket grip enhancer, I'd love to have another 1/2" or so front to back "depth" on the grip.

The M&P9c was much more familiar, being almost identical to my Ruger SR9c. Slightly better round count too. But the Shield seems like it carries enough rounds especially with a backup mag I will always carry. The Shield is the winner in the Smart Carry system.