View Single Post

Old 11-10-2015, 03:49 PM

Liked 195 Times in 46 Posts
Default Colt Official Police and killed in the line of duty

My uncle was a St. Paul Police Officer and later a Detective. He carried a Colt Official Police 6 inch, even when in his plain clothes assignment. (Probably due to financial factors in buying another sidearm.) In 1949 he was shot by a liquor store robber. My uncle, Alan Lee, was at the front door of the perp's girlfriend's residence when the perp emerged from behind the door and shot Det Lee twice, killing him instantly. The perp, James Hatcher, then leaped over my uncle's body and fled on foot to another building.

Officers later located Hatcher in this tenement, hiding under a mattress. They order him to surrender. Failing to do so, officers stepped back and emptied their guns into the mattress. Fifty years later, the Minneapolis paper ran a story about this tragic event. A day or so later, Det. Lee's son received a call from the emergency room doctor who both attended my uncle and James Hatcher, when each had been brought to the ER. The doctor assured my cousin that his father did not suffer from the wounds, that he was killed instantly. Further, that when examining Hatcher, he (the doctor) stopped counting after reaching 14 bullet holes in the body.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: