View Single Post

Old 11-21-2015, 07:41 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

I've owned white a few 3rd gen pistols. Probably close to 10. I no longer have one, due to the slow (if any) support the factory gives. I know they are as tough as nails and will rarely need maintenance beyond springs which are pretty easy to get. But unless I know the original owner and how many rounds he put through the gun, I can't know if the use I put them through is going to be the breaking point. If S&W still actively supported them (and they should since the have a "lifetime warranty") the 5906 would still be my house gun. It's been replaced with a Ruger SR9. Not nearly as classy as the 5906 is, but it has the manual safety and the magazine disconnect that I prefer on a gun. I just don't want to have to wait months for parts or service.

But the reason for the demise has already been stated. If someone just wants a gun to launch a bullet, a striker fired M&P will do that reliably, and it's cheaper to make, cheaper to purchase, and reliable. Now, if somebody also wants a gun with a little more pride of ownership, the metal, hammer fired 3rd gens are the way to go.

I mean, who here can imagine bequeathing their Glock or M&P (or SR9) to their child? It would be like passing down a toilet plunger. "Here Son. This has unclogged many a toilet. It's yours now. Take good care of it". My kids are young and they have zero interest in my SR9 or LC9-S that I have. But when they see my Beretta 92 or any of my old revolvers, they immediately perk right up.

Last edited by kbm6893; 11-21-2015 at 08:36 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: