View Single Post

Old 11-22-2015, 12:28 PM
US Veteran

Liked 189 Times in 44 Posts

The Army took me to Germany from 1996 to 1999 in Hanau. I lived in Old Argonner Kasserne near the PX and gun store selling guns there (Outdoor Club or Sportsman Club). I took a hunting course to qualify for a roe deer and boar hunt later on if I got my vacation after 8 months.

The teacher of hunting in Germany to US Soldiers stationed in Hanau area took us through the complexity of hunting in Germany and how different it was from Kentucky or Alaska.

He also spent time on US Army property to sell guns from US and also from Germany or other places across the pond.

His complaint about MIM parts when he had to gunsmith was it was brittle and worthless to work on if it had to be sanded or ground. MIM was "cast" metal without the tolerance of real steel in steel mills with blocks of the stuff to use anywhere steel was needed. In gun barrels chrome moly is the ticket and in internal working parts that need some adjustment because of wear the MIM is a replacement while the milled steel stuff is easily used once again for more service--just get the gun into the hands of a tool man instead of a computerized replacement mold.

But I do have two SW 29-10s today that are actually more accurate and durable than the 1956 originally introduced by SW.

There's a picture of a stainless 629-1 mixed in the lot.

The two 29-10s are better than the originals for durability and accuracy. Fait accompli as far as I care.

MIM to me means modern and hopefully the company using MIM knows better what they are doing than the money market or opinion.

Do I like MIM?

No. I like the Colt Single Action Army in .44-40 instead:

I know it ain't Clint Eastwood but it was for real in the old west and I'm just an old westerner.