View Single Post

Old 11-24-2015, 04:11 PM

Liked 418 Times in 155 Posts

@ Sevens
While I respect your right to your opinion, I predictably disagree.

As has been pointed out, stainless metal handguns nearing the $1000 mark are selling quite well these days, as evidenced by the prolific breeds of 1911's, as well as the brilliant and by no means "time passed it by" Sig Classic Series. Sig just released a P220 in 10mm somewhere North of a grand, and it is selling quite well.

And the "time passing" argument falls apart even further because the last time I checked, the 1911 is well over a century old, and again it is persistently in high demand.

I stand by my statement: the reason 3rd Gens are not around is because S&W perceived it could make a higher margin by playing to the 'tactical zombie killing, Afghanistan pretend warrior' class that seems to think that only 19 rounds coupled with a Picatinny rail on a plastic frame will save you in a gunfight. Add to that that Smith hasn't been a company that really caters to its longtime loyal customers (translation: doesn't listen well) but rather chases dollars to the detriment of it's own base, and you get a situation where a darn fine platform that works brilliantly and is as tough as an M1A2 Abrams has been ditched for high profit, low workmanship polymer substitute.

Additionally, the simple fact S&W raised the fickle middle finger of fate at long time Smith buyers by abandoning (and subsequently lying with their "lifetime warranty" promise) the parts and support market for 3rd Gens says it all about who is really to blame.

Time and paying customers didn't abandon 3rd Gen Smith, but rather Smith abandoned a market to Sig, Beretta and a legion of 1911's because their bean counters said "We can make more faster now with plastic, screw our promise and to heck with 30+ year loyal buyers!"

This is the same company after all, that gutlessly scarred their revolvers with a useless, idiotic lock that NO ONE wants, simply because Hillary pointed her crooked finger at them and said 'Boo'.

Add to this the other issues that die hards hate (frame mounted firing pins, MIM parts) and you get a company that is clearly saying they're not interested in what customers want or desire, but are happy to feed them what Smith thinks is best. This is the kind of vacuum of leadership and service that did Colt in (granted however, it was much worse in Hartford than in Springfield.

Besides, I don't for a minute believe it would cost $1000 a unit to make those pistols, rather what it would cost simply isn't a big enough margin for S&W.

S&W could build these, many would sell. Admittedly not as many as they would polymers, but it would be likely enough to justify the tooling and reach back to connect with long time Smith fans. Other companies have done so, in fact Sig just re-released the P225, an all metal single stack 9mm that "time passed" by. And it's selling very well even at around an $800 price point.

So, no. I don't buy that a $700 to $800 priced 5906, 4506, 1006 would go fast. It's just not enough margin for the Scrooges over on Roosevelt Avenue ....

Last edited by TexasRaider; 11-24-2015 at 04:15 PM.