View Single Post

Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 AM

Liked 17,200 Times in 7,303 Posts

Well I'm 36, going on 5! I carry and prefer semi auto, mag fed handguns. I have a few revolvers too. Several J frames, several K frames and a N frame. Wouldn't even mind another 357 N frame in 4 in barrel but when it comes to carry and defense I'm all about the semi autos and leave you guys to worry about all that soul stuff. They are all strictly utilitarian to me.

I find J frames to be probably the most uncomfortable guns to shoot. Not from the recoil perspective but from their small grip size and short distance from the grip to the trigger. It just doesn't work for me. I need something to take up all that space in my grip. But this is the,same problem with tinny tiny pocket autos. Even 1911s and 3rd gen S&W with the plastic pannels I find a little to thin.

K frames with Hogue grips work good but then I'm carrying double the weight with 1/2 the ammo.

I do use J frames for carry but only when I need something absolutely small and discreet and clothing would otherwise prohibit a FS or compact semi auto.

My dad wanted a little revolver to carry but he's not a gun guy so I know for a fact that practice would be zero. I kept trying to make him understand that a J frame is hard to shoot and practice is a must. I finally got him to the range and boy was I sorry!. First, he brought his coffee cup. There is no table to put that on except the little shelf in front of you where all the ammo and targets are. Second, when he got to shoot he immediately took the dueling position. ...fail! And finally. ..third, at 5 yards he gave the target a lot of laud warning shots! No J frame for him (soup nazi voice)!

Last edited by Arik; 12-03-2015 at 09:25 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: