View Single Post

Old 12-03-2015, 11:18 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,863 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model520Fan View Post
J frames are supposed to be uncomfortable with factory grips, just like K frame M&Ps. With exceptions for some people with different hands or strange ways of aiming a pistol, S&W revolvers are in general unusable with factory grips. If your J frame is a steel RB, you can probably make it work with a Tyler. If it a SB, you can almost surely make it work with a Tyler. If it is a RB Airweight, you may be able to make it sort of work with an extremely firm grip, or, better, with some large aftermarket grips which make it less concealable.

Obviously, these guidelines are not written in stone, and vary somewhat with the individual, but anyone who expects S&W revolvers to work with factory grips is out of touch with the reality of most of S&W's history. BTW, Colts aren't noticeably better, and usually need about the same cure. I think that many later Rugers may be better, but I don't have much experience with them.

P.S. In the sixties, I used to eyeball cops' guns, which were revolvers back then, mostly S&W. If I saw a grip adapter or aftermarket grips, I figured he knew something about guns. If I didn't, I figured he didn't. I was probably right. Any old-time LEOs care to comment?
Depends on the hands of the shooter. Target grips fit me better than Magna grips. Tyler T Grips never did anything for me. Truth be told, a pair of Pachmayr Gripper grips was the first thing out on 90% of K frames when I was in the job.

But a j frame is an up close gun, and skinny factory grips are the best for not gripping your shirt. At 10-12 feet that they are generally used at, the wood grips are fine. Yeah, I shot better with the pachmayrs, but at 10 feet it never mattered.