View Single Post

Old 12-04-2015, 06:55 PM

Liked 920 Times in 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model520Fan View Post
J frames are supposed to be uncomfortable with factory grips, just like K frame M&Ps. With exceptions for some people with different hands or strange ways of aiming a pistol, S&W revolvers are in general unusable with factory grips. If your J frame is a steel RB, you can probably make it work with a Tyler. If it a SB, you can almost surely make it work with a Tyler. If it is a RB Airweight, you may be able to make it sort of work with an extremely firm grip, or, better, with some large aftermarket grips which make it less concealable.

P.S. In the sixties, I used to eyeball cops' guns, which were revolvers back then, mostly S&W. If I saw a grip adapter or aftermarket grips, I figured he knew something about guns. If I didn't, I figured he didn't. I was probably right. Any old-time LEOs care to comment?
That is an extremely broad statement, now isn't it. Indeed, as has been stated, it really does change man to man, hand to hand, and perhaps even shooting style to shooting style. Of the grips I've tried for my Model 10's, the old wooden stock service grips have served me by far the best. For N frame, the old style target wood grips are great, and my daily carry pistol, an M27, I use a wooden standard service grip, because that's what works well for me. Although i will admit, the new style wooden target grips that came with it were worthless to me.

Some people find "stock" general issue settings to be fine, if not in some cases work the best. Not everyone demands exacting custom work be done to make a firearm work well, not everyone goes through endless toil trying to get the perfect grip or fit. Some people can pull a gun off the rack and use it just fine. Some people don't feel the need, or actually need, custom grips or any extras.

I think there is a general attitude in many shooters overall, and in fact in many other hobbies/fields, that you aren't "serious" unless you customize every last bit of every gun/whatever else it is you have. You CAN'T shoot rifle without buying expensive custom triggers, stocks, and attach every single item built for your gun on the fancy rail set. A 12 gauge shotgun won't work for self defense UNLESS you buy a special 18 inch barrel, a new "tactical" stock, rails, lights, rangefinders, ect.. If you own a pistol, there better well be replaced sights, custom grips, lazers, ect. Considering not everyone shoots match or buys into the effectiveness of a lot of these things, or can't afford fancy custom parts, or whatever the reason they keep a gun stock, its a bad general idea to run with.

I've met kids with super fancy assault rifles with all the fancy extras, all custom done, who couldn't shoot worth a thing. They had fun and enjoyed it, but they never really learned proficiency. There are a lot of people out there who own high grade stuff they never use, buy expensive guns and rarely shoot them, own expensive power saws and wood working equipment that sits in the store box and never gets used. I've seen some pretty serious people who can show up with a beat up old gun with stock iron sights or a cheap scope who can shoot well and have fun; even if they don't win they take shooting seriously and learn a lot, and are proficient.

I have never judged a man by his weapon choice or extras, because its a hollow assumption, a prejudice.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: