View Single Post

Old 12-08-2015, 09:37 PM

Liked 342 Times in 157 Posts

Just my two cents.

1. The short rail on the receiver does not allow for proper mounting---particularly eye relief---on many AR style rifles unless you have one with the forearms that continue the slots past the receiver, so,

2. You either buy a scope/ring combo mount that has a good deal of forward offset (about $225.00 from Larue or J-mar----there may be some new other brands now that I have not seen), or,

3. You buy a swan sleeve which mounts to the rail but has its on rail that extends over the forearm (about $89.00), and buy a set of rings---lowest you can use without the scope objective contacting the sleeve of the forearm. You have to play with this (the rings part) at a good store----it is too difficult to try and measure and guess on all of this at home. Mount or sleeve you will probably have to order online because few stores carry the offset mounts or and none carry the swan sleeve.

4. The smaller your objective, the lower the height on the scope and more comfortable. 50MM scopes are not neccessary. There are 40MM, 36MM, 32MM and such scopes out there which will be fine for this.

5. You can't skimp on scopes----you just waste your time. I suggest Leupolds and Burris scopes primarily. Some my suggest a Nikon and some other moderate priced scopes. Stay away from cheap crud. A plane-jane 4 power compact will serve you well unless you just have to have one of those variables. A 3-9 is very common and they do have a use as the big power is VERY nice when you want to pop very small critters.

Good luck.
The Following User Likes This Post: