View Single Post

Old 12-09-2015, 04:29 PM

Liked 4,871 Times in 1,396 Posts

Most of my rifles have Leupold or Burris scopes mounted but, I have strayed from those brands simply for economic reasons. I acquired a Nikon 6 x 18 Buckmasters Target Model with side focus for a Remington Mod. 700 .223 and it has been more that what I hoped for at a price of $300.00.

Now, don't beat me up to much on this but, I acquired a DPMS Oracle in .308 and needed another scope. I had looked at several different models and decided that I would take a look at the Vortex Scopes. I happened to be in Huntsville, AL on the opening weekend of the new Cabela's store. They had the Vortex Diamondback 4 x 12 Scope, with side focus, on sale for $229.95 but, they were sold out. The same scope in 4 x 16 x 42 was available for $249.95 so, I jumped in with both feet.

I used Leupold QRW mounts with a ARMS riser and it is perfect. The rifle will shoot M.O.A groups all day long at 100 and 200 yards with my hand loads and I took a nice 8 pt. buck on opening day in the neighboring state of Kentucky.

The scope is well made and repeatable. I believe that the Diamondback models are being closed out and on sell at most major optical web sites but, I would buy another one if I had a need.

Vortex, Nikon and Burris are made in the Philippines and maybe at the same facility. They provide a lot of value for the dollar IMO.