View Single Post

Old 12-17-2015, 07:37 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog72 View Post
here we go............... " to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" I whole heartedly believe in the right for a l l citizens to carry a firearm as they see fit... period. Who am I to judge who is qualified or not. My daughter is a cop, they get 50 rounds to practice with a month and most of her peers don't use it. I have gone to the range with her and some of her " trained" LEO buddies and was not impressed. I out shot all of them and they did not display any more care with their weapons than the beginners I trained in my CCL class.

The only way for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing... forgot who said that. Think I will look it up.

Cheers
That sounds great on paper, but he reality of it is different. Even in liberal NY (not NYC), a 3 hour class demonstrating MINIMAL proficiency with a weapon is all that is required for a CC permit. I only shoot on weekdays or in cold weather to avoid the legions of untrained idiots with guns. Members of a gun forum are NOT representative of gun owners in general. On another well known forum, there was a guy who had taken TWO "advanced pistol classes" taught by some Marine. This "instructor" told him carrying his Beretta PX4 with the hammer back and safety off was no different than carrying a Glock. He was carrying this way for months before he derided some other poster about wanting a safety.

Not to mention some of the antics I have seen in a PA gun store, where NO training is required. Just don't trust Uncle Jeb and Cousin Cletus with his 4 teeth to safely handle a weapon.

Truth is, MANY people who own or carry guns are unsafe idiots, and while it is their right to bear arms, it is my right not to catch a bullet because they have their heads up their asses.

And those who refuse to acknowledge that will always call me "anti-2A". If we could trust people not to drive 100 mph we wouldn't have speed limits. I live in PA, an open carry state. I rarely see it. Did see it a few months back. Guy pumping gas. Had a big Glock in a tactical mall ninja rig and a license plate that read "OPN CRRY". What a tool.

I teach a law enforcement program for high school kids now. I was teaching firearm safety last week. We have red barreled training rifles and shotguns and 8MM blank firing handgun replicas. One of the kids had been hunting since he was like 12. I was demonstrating how to safely unload a 12 gauge pump shotgun and the kid had NO idea that you could open the action and press the lever behind the chamber to release the shells one at a time safely. Said "I just rack the action until it's empty". How many of us here would rack the slide on a semi auto pistol to empty it? I asked the kid if he ever bothered to read the owner's manual with his shotgun. He said "nope. My Dad taught me".

God help us.

As for the link regarding the M&P pistol the LASD uses, I'm not surprised. Striker fired, no safety pistols are certainly "less safe" than hammer fired weapons. I've always said they are the worst choice for police officers, who Unholster and reholster their weapons far more than a civilian, not to mention having to point that st people in high stress situations. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and the Beretta 92 and 3rd gen S&W pistols were doing just fine until Glock gave free guns away to get into the LE market. If your hand is too small for a 92FS, then maybe you shouldn't be a cop.

And yes, I own 2 striker fired guns. A Ruger SR9 and a Ruger LC9-S. I like the manual safety Nd mag disconnect. They're great guns. But I have been shooting for many years and have shot those guns extensively. They're not for beginners.

Last edited by kbm6893; 12-17-2015 at 08:21 PM.