View Single Post

Old 12-30-2015, 09:20 PM

Liked 144 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
.22lr "base" of chamber diameter: 0.2267" (note: +0.002) (SAAMI Match)
.22lr "throat" of chamber diameter: 0.2248" (note: +0.002)

.22lr "base" of chamber diameter: 0.2307" (note: +0.002) (SAAMI Sporting)
.22lr "throat" of chamber diameter: 0.227" (note: +0.002)

-----------------------------------------------------

Your chamber measures 0.226 base and 0.224 mouth, but note that the SAAMI match chamber is also shorter than the sporting chamber by 0.175". You probably don't have a match chamber, and I doubt that there even is a match chamber for a revolver as there is for a rifle. No question your K-22s chamber is a little tight vs. SAAMI specs, but as the SAAMI case diameter tolerance is 0.226-0.004 (not +/-0.004), I'd think you shouldn't have too much of a fired case extraction problem. Are there extraction problems with every chamber and every ammunition brand? Can you tell how rough the chamber walls are? Have you tried cleaning the chambers thoroughly and possibly polishing them a little with jewelers rouge or other mild abrasive? I'd probably try a lot of things before I resorted to rechambering.
DWalt, you should consider that the SAAMI case dimensions are for unfired shells. Fired brass swells to fit the chamber, if there is no clearance it will conform to EVERY little nook and cranny. The chambers look good, and although they are not highly polished, my understanding is that this is undesirable as increases bolt thrust - which is a benchrest rifle shooting term but is also applicable here. I suspect you did not read my first post entirely as I addressed several of your questions already.