View Single Post

Old 01-09-2016, 08:40 AM

Liked 1,003 Times in 349 Posts

Modern revolver manufacturers are hurting the adoption of the platform by new / younger shooters by too frequently delivering their products while still needing additional work, particularly action jobs. In the L and N frames, why would a new shooter in a store buy a revolver with a 13 lbs. DA pull, and an action that may not be smoothe? Ubiquitous Glocks and Kimbers feel fine in the store (the Kimber will malfunction later at the range post-purchase and typically take a couple trips to Kimber), and the Glocks are highly reliable out the gate.

Of my last three carry purchases below, all Perf Ctr, only the 627 couldn't benefit significantly from an action job at delivery, although it got one and still benefitted from it. The two L frames' actions, while pretty good from the stand point of smoothe and even, were 12 and 13 lbs DA, so they too got a stone, fit, and polish. And, stacking towards the end of the DA cycle was present on other samples I didn't buy but tried.

S&W's willingness to let their revolvers' actions leave the factory representing a fairly broad spectrum of pull, smootheness, and cycle evenness make it a challenge for new shooters to discover the benefits if not joy of revolvers; because in the store customers experience what the revolver is not what it could be with some more work; and, arguably it is often work or QC it never should of left the factory without. While I've been satisfied with my last three S&W PC deliveries, sadly some of that satisfaction is simply from lowered expectations. Because each S&W went on for more work to TK Custom for defensive action jobs; but here's the thing, I never would have accepted that need in a delivered Glock or a Wilson Combat 1911.

All of this makes Clint Smith's words on his current Thunder Ranch web site an increasingly well kept secret, "In the hands of knowledgeable persons the revolver is more than an equal of any other defensive handgun."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.9 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by dwever; 01-09-2016 at 01:32 PM.