View Single Post

Old 01-11-2016, 05:39 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,764 Times in 684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsides View Post
I used Gunar's method with casting resin, but couldn't get the color right. My trim job was not up to snuff, so I on my second try decided to go with just the yellow. It turned out great and it shows up in bright as well as low light conditions. Try it, you'll like it.
Agree, the first time takes a lot of nerve, but subsequent inserts go much easier. Once the dovetail slot is cut, you can redo any mess ups until you get what you're looking for. Charlie
I struggled with the brightness when using the Castin Craft resin especially trying to get that factory orange. The trimming is pretty tough too, especially if the insert hasn't fully cured. If its still somewhat soft when you're shaping it, and you get to rocking it back and forth or from from side to side, once it does cure it will have more movement in it than if you were to have let it fully cure (for like 5 days) and then started shaping it.
It takes such a long time to even be able to take the fences off when using the casting resin, just to see if you have a good insert. That's why I prefer the Brownells kit. From start to finish I can do one in about an hour. And best of all, the colors are brighter. The orange powdered pigment that comes with the Brownells kit wasn't bright enough and I found that I could match the factory orange closest when mixing the yellow powdered pigment with just a touch of the red powdered pigment.

Last edited by GunarSailors; 04-05-2016 at 03:46 AM.