View Single Post

Old 01-24-2016, 12:03 PM

Liked 4,189 Times in 1,864 Posts

Before my accident almost 9 years ago, I was a regular participant in the CMP matches at Camp Perry. Since I am now engaging in the prone only matches, I really can't shoot the CMP rifle matches, but I do see the side programs that CMP does conduct during the Nationals.

They do an awful lot to support Juniors, who ARE the future of our sport. The DCM/CMP wasn't designed to benefit the older, more experienced shooters like us, but to introduce the youth to our sport so it continues. We support the Juniors via our support of the DCM/CMP!

Look at the original mission of the DCM/CMP/NBPRP, it was to train youth in preparation for military service in the use of military style firearms. That is because a 140 some odd years ago, our military marksmanship left too much to be desired!

Forgive me if some of you get perturbed by what I say now, but our country is in the midst of a shooting war, with the potential that shots will be exchanged here as long as our border remains pourous! This is when we need people to be familiar with the use of the service rifle, and be proficient in their marksmanship skills. The NRA in partnership with the CMP IS doing that.

Yes, the surplus arms passing through the CMP may be over priced.

Yes, you can probably purchase a brand spanking new mil-spec 1911 for less than a released, military issue 1911.

Yes, some of you can make a profit by buying these veterans and making a complete manufacture 1911 and sell off the extra parts.

... but is that what the CMP is for?

Perhaps, if we keep the initial mission of the DCM/CMP/NRA/NBPRP in mind, we should ask, what have you done to prepare the future generations tasked to protect this great nation?