View Single Post

Old 01-24-2016, 10:34 PM
US Veteran

Liked 592 Times in 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMCM View Post
The one you don't see the the 88 year old Bunn Special that lives in my pocket

Under the hood... 21 ruby bearings in solid gold settings and all the train wheels are solid gold. Keeps time wonderfully well.

Those "PANs" are knockoff of a 1950's vintage Rolex 6152/1 Something for me to tinker with. If I ever come across an Angelus 240 movement or a Rolex Cal. 618 movement I'll case 'em up just because

Ever since I was a wee lad I've always held a fascination for all things mechanical. Thus my appreciation for these old timepieces among other mechanically thingies. Kinda sad that the skill & craftsmanship that made these is lost to history. Same as an M&P or Glock...Plastic watches with batteries have no soul.

Ok, Thanks for the break...I'll get back to machining the guiderods and update in a couple hours.

Cheers
Bill
Absolutely gorgeous!

My little 6mm and 8mm watchmaker lathes look teensy next to that Taig.

OK, back to the topic! Always totally intrigued with your projects.

OK, another side note in a different direction, I just got word that I'm getting an invitation to the decommissioning ceremony of the first and only big white one I rode. USCGC Boutwell WHEC-719 is being decommisioned in San Diego on March 16th. It was only 2 years old when I first stepped aboard, and it's hard to believe it's being retired in my lifetime. There were 311's and 327's from WWII vintage still pulling ocean stations when Boutwell was new.

Last edited by BruceB; 01-24-2016 at 10:36 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: